QUESTION FOR YOU ALL

Hammer Down hammer_down at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 22 09:08:32 CST 2004

Ten years ago, when racing the 510, our gage would read two probs at once
(two seperate needles in one gage.  We ran four probes through a "four pole"
switch.  We read either cylinder 4 (the hottest) and Cylinder 2 (the
coldest) or 1 and 3 (Nissan/Datsun L-Series).  We only used the second set
to verify during practice what the other two were telling us OR if one of
the other two failed.  I think the gage was a Stewart Warner.  The needles
(yeah, I know, analog!?!) were opposing.  You really had to concentrate to
know what you were reading.  The needles were white on a black face.  We put
two orange pieces of "striping tape" on the face to indicate the band or
temp we were looking for.  It worked.  We got good at tuning by the second
(and last) season where we would tune (jet) each individual carb throat
(dual 44mm Mikunis) for what the EGT reading was for that cylinder.  I don't
think the Nissan ECU will allow that.  Now with the enduro karts, it is a
single cylinder two stroke and a digital gage (peak hold and memory).
On the L-Series Engines, the hotest  cylinder was the one furthest from the
coolant inlet fromt he radiator/waterpump.  The coldest was number 2, though
not the closest to the coolant inlet, I think intake and exhaust manifold
shape kept it cooler than cylinder 1.  The other four 510/mikuni runners all
had the same phenomenon.  If no one has good SR20 data for you (Mike K?), do
testing and have fun!

Erik Halvorson