Wheel spacers.

Ben Fenner fenfam@sc.rr.com
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 10:41:36 -0600

Peter wrote:
> If the offset on the rims is a +40mm,  and I put a 5mm stainless
> spacer in between the inside of the wheel and my brake rotor,
> doesn't that push the track wider, and therefore increase an
> already  positive offset?

I'm just shooting from the hip here, but I remember back when I was
doing the wheel/tire thing. The offset is how  many millimeters off center
the hub mating surface is. So your mating surface is 40mm off center,
towards the front of the wheel (because it's posative). If you add 5mm of
metal to that surface via wheel spacer, you are effectively bringing the
mating surface towards the center of the wheel, making it a 35mm offset.

Also, JP said:
> That sounds dangerously close to a spring perch for my taste.

I don't know what he means by this. I run 15" x 7" Panasports with a 38mm
offset.
Combined with 205/50/15 Kumho Exta Supras, and have no rubbing issues at
all,
with half an inch wider wheel. (This puts the wheel rim 1mm closer to my
spring
pirch than yours would be, taking into account my 38mm offset.)

> I'd just like to be able to run a nice wide
> 205/50/15 Azeni (more like 215, I hear)
> and not have any perch rubbing issues.

This is where you may run into a problem.
I'd look at something with a +35mm offset for this.
Hell, I run 12mm spacers to clear my brakes in the front.
I wish I'd gotten a wheel with a +26mm offset. But oh well.
If you want to use the wheels with the +40mm and 5mm spacers,
you should be all right.
I have two 6mm billet aluminum spacers I'm not using anymore that
I'd sell yah at cost if you'd like =)

-Ben
1994 Black SE-R