starter trouble

Slamtry slamtry@yahoo.com
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:15:28 -0600

I was reading on the nissan forums that it was
possible to fix "start up squeal" without removing the
starter, by lubing the starter, after loosening and
semi-separating the starter casing while it was still
on the car. So, like a damn fool, I tried this
afternoon. Following instructions, I unbolted the two
long bolts at the passenger side of the starter and
tried to get my hand in there witha view to slapping
in some grease. It took me thirty minutes and  some
skin to realise there was no possibility of getting
any grease in there without a special tool and 45
minutes to get the bolts re-seated correctly and
tightened.

Unfortunately, the starter will now not turn the motor
over. It just makes a click. Does anyone have any
ideas on what might have happened? I can't see any
wires I might have disconnected. I am so pissed at
myself for trying to fix something that wasn't broken.
I even forgot to disconnect the battery while I was
doing it. So much for a New Years Eve.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, I'd like to hear
them. I have a basic tool collection and a Haines
manual.

TIA

Dan Hugh-Jones