If you was a crank pulley keyway, where would you hide

Darren Cotner its311pete@alltel.net
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:04:15 -0600

Hey all I was hoping some of you could help shed a little light on our
situation.
My brother gets a ASP crank pulley for his 91 Classic for Christmas.
Pulley looked nice and seemed to install fine. We fire her up after
double checking everything and hear  some rattling. skip over a page or so of
me mis diagnosing
a bad chain tensioner. OK tonite we remove the crank pulley to find the crank
pulley keyway was
missing. Also was have a nice chunk of the timing chain cover gone where it
mates up to the
crank pulley. We have tore off the lower oil pan, and are in the process of
removing the
upper pan  to get the timing chain cover off to find the keyway. From what we
know now, we believe that
somehow the keyway has jammed the oil pump in some way. I have never opened up
a SR20 so I don't know
how the oil pump is driven but at this time it looks like the keyway may have
gotten jammed somewhere
to cause the pump to stop pumping oil.  The 1st. time we fired her up she got
oil,
the second time after the tensioner install we lost oil pressure and the oil
light came on.
Could anyone give me advanced warning on what we may find, or exactly how the
oil pump gears
work. It looks like it has a  tumble style gear as best I can tell.

And by the way, The ASP Pulley is believed to be the problem, pushing the
keyway out.
seems that the slot in the pulley was machined wrong.
Also looks like the pulley was machined slightly too small where it meets the
crank.

Thanks for any info,
Darren