cv joint/boot problem

Slamtry slamtry@yahoo.com
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:39:14 -0600

For the last week or so, I have been hearing a
"clicking" or "tapping" sound from my front right
corner when I make a left from a stop. List archive
research suggested that a bad CV joint/boot was a
likely cause and sure enough, when I checked, the
outer boots on both sides are torn all the way around.
Only the right hand side is making a noise so far. I
have a few questions for anyone with experience in
this area (the car being a '91 Classic):

1) How sure is it that, once I hear the noise, I have
damaged the joint to the extent it needs replacement?
Might a new boot and repacking with grease be enough
to fix it? Might I get away with a new boot on the
side that is not yet making a noise?

2)Is CV joint replacement a better or worse option
than a new axle?

3) How difficult is it do this oneself or is it
something better left to a mechanic because labour
cost is a relatively small percentage of total cost?

4)Where should I go for the new parts? I recall
hearing talk about Raxles but they are in Florida. Is
there an equivalent local option? I am in SoCal

Thanks for any help,

Dan Hugh-Jones