GTi-R swap

Ryan Le Gros nissantuner@hotmail.com
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:10:36 -0600

>About 100 HP worth, maybe more.  There are some seriously scary 'Rs out
>there on stock internals with monster turbos that are *not* located in the
>US.  How many HP is an HKS GT3037 good for at 20PSI?  Now factor in that
>some looney Kiwi t00n3r[*] with a ROM writer and no concern for durability
>wrote all of the fuel and ignition maps.  A stock 'R bottom can take that
>(more or less) daily; can a Bluebird?

Exactly.

>The 'R has a much improved oiling system, stronger block, totally
>different valvetrain, and *both* engines have piston squirters. ;)

You forget to mention the quad throttlebodies that are unique to the GTi-R,
giving it a much meaner bottom end.

>This is absolutely, positively, 100% the best advice I've seen in this
>conversation yet.  If you just want boost, bragging rights are not worth
>the GTi-R expense.  If you want 'R-like power, start with an 'R turbo
>manifold, a Disco Potato turbo, and talk to JWT about fuel supply needs
>(probably something like a Z32 MAF sensor and MSD 50lb/hr injectors).

This is excellent advice, but I believe I had mentioned earlier to go with a
GTi-R if you desire the raw power it can make. I also said the BB was a good
choice at the opening of the email quoted from. I wasn't trying to sway him
to buy a GTi-R, I was simply disproving the statements his shop made as to
the usability of the ECU, Harness and MAF.

As for the Disco Potato, Jason over at JGY doesnt seem to think too highly
of them (and I respect his opinion, he has a *lot* of experience), I dont
remember the exact details of why, but I believe I recall him saying he
could put something together that performed much better for the same price
range.