Timing chain skipped a tooth/was Please help engine won'tstart

Brian bkoko001@yahoo.com
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:41:45 -0600

Well I found the gold (brass) link but no silver -- I
even counted 48 and 56, still couldn't tell the
difference between one link and the next.
Arcstarter's comment made sense so I'm forgetting
about the link idea.
I verified TDC on Cylinder 1 by putting a long
screwdriver atop the piston (thru the spark plug hole)
and noted its highest point.  The cam lobes are
pointing away from the center of the motor.  The
exhaust cam looks like it's not yet at 12:00.  The
intake cam is harder to judge, but I think it might be
closer to 10:00 than the exhaust is to 12:00.  I'm
going to remove the tensioner and distributor and
rotate the exhaust cam so the sprocket mating mark
moves one link to the right (when viewed from the
passenger side).  This will bring me to 20 pins
between the sprocket marks.  I'll put it all back
together and fire it up and see what happens.

BTW I was incorrect earlier when I said the only way
to get the car running was to rotate the distributor
counterclockwise -- I meant CLOCKWISE (jackass!!).
I'll let you know what happens and thanks again.
BK