Timing chain skipped a tooth/was Please help engine won't start

Brian bkoko001@yahoo.com
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:10:46 -0600

To refresh:  engine ran poorly after installing new
chain tensioner and the only way we could get it to
run somewhat normally was to rotate the distributor as
far counterclockwise as possible.  I'm thinking the
timing chain skipped a tooth or two, maybe the
tensioner didn't catch right away and the chain jumped
on the cam sprockets.
I pulled the VC tonight and rotated the crank while I
watched the timing chain.  According to the FSM there
should be silver "mating marks" on the timing chain
that align with the marks on the cam sprockets.  I see
no such marks.  I rotated the engine several times so
I could look at all the links, and no mating marks.
No silver or gold; they all look the same to me.
There is quite a bit of varnish inside this 130,000
mile motor so I wiped off the links near the sprocket
mating marks.
I still don't see any silver mating marks.  Can anyone
give me a better idea (a dig pic would be awesome) of
these mating marks so I'll know what I'm looking for?
Is it possible that this chain has been replaced with
an auto parts no-name brand that didn't have mating
marks?  I've only owned this car for a few thousand
miles.
As always, any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian in VA