Rod bearing replacement (Update 5)

Ben Fenner fenfam@sc.rr.com
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:23:15 -0600

> Get a JDM from Soko, have Mike pick it out,
> it should bolt up, as far as I know to all the low
> port stuff you have.  This will not be an engine
> you attempt to boost - BTW.  It will be a damn
> good N/A replacement for what you have though.

Why wouldn't I want to boost it? Even higher compression than
the 9.5:1 I have now? I don't understand...
And FYI. I wasn't planning on going turbo until I had the money for GTi-R
pistons and rods (8.3:1) compression. So would  that solve the problem?
Just a quick run-down of why the JDM is different from the USDM engine
would be appreciated.

> At least you didn't break your rear main seal retainer
> while removing the oil pan ;)

While I was under there, I didn't even see how this would be possible.
I didn't even see a rear main seal retainer.
Is this what would happen if your forgot to remove those two
10mm "hidden" nuts?

 >Don't swap the head over if you can avoid tailpipe
> checks, the difference is foul.

Excuse me? I don't understand your use of the word "foul" here.
Sorry... =/
In South Carolina there is no safety checks, no inspections,
no emissions checks, no nothing...
I saw a man driving down the road in a fully registered sand rail...
But, I plan on keeping this car for a long time, and may move back to
Massachusettes or another state that will start sniffing the tail-pipe.
I'd rather be able to pass emitions than get an extra 10 or 15 HP.
And that 10-15 HP is going to be null and void in a year when I go turbo
anyhow.

> Shipping from Soko to a shop costs less than to
> your home, but figure somewhere between $100-200
> for shipping.  Get Mike to cut the deal for you, if
> possible, Soko seems to hook him up okay.

I think this is what I'm going to do. They can ship it to the Lexus
dealership
that I'll be doing the swap at =)
Although, I think I'll swap the low port head onto the JDM engine. Does this
sound like a problem to anyone? Aside from the fact that I don't know how to
perform cam timing yet =)

-Ben
1994 Black SE-R