Chris Scarpulla has his ride back

Kevin J. Hart bowlcut@comcast.net
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 00:22:14 -0600

Well all that were at the convention, or read about it knew what
happened.  Recap of last weekend, Eric Waterman and I removed the old
motor.  He went over there this week and did some minor sensor swapping
and installing stuff like clutch and power steering.  Stuff that we
could get to while out of the car.

So Chris and his buddy Rob flew down fir day night too good old
Cashville, Smashville, Nashvegas, Nashville TN.  We almost immediately
went to work on the car.  Friday night we had cams swapped and most of
the motor buttoned up and ready to go.

Saturday we got there without Eric, he had to go race good old DW Darell
Waltrip in an autocross of Volvo's new 6 speed R(rrrrrr) car.  While
pulling off the old exhaust manifold Calum noticed something...something
horrible.  Yet another freeze plug missing.  WTF!  Luckily Chris had the
wits to buy 2 plugs.  So we got the one beside the t-stat in, then beat
in the one behind the exhaust manifold.  And then we learned why a nice
hoist makes the job soooooo much easier.  And that the sr20 was indeed
intended to exit/enter though the bottom.  It went in with little to no
complaints was soooo smooth putting it in, unlike dropping it with just
the 2 of us and a bad hoist system.

Oh and another great thing.  Louis Laprad's dad (Phil) was the guy who
loaned us the garage and place to park the car at for so long.  Well we
gave him Chris' mounts to see what he could do to get the rubber out in
prep of the Prothane full replacement inserts.  Well Phil managed to get
the old mounts cleanly out of the mount housing.  no i dont mean just
get them out.  He pressed the full metal sleeve and all out of those
beasts, INTACT.  Look at pic 5...thats just insane.  He fashioned up a
jig with help of his coworkers and just popped it right out, broke some
hard hard oak and almost the vice in the process but he got them.  So
full prothane mount system...boy does it vibrate the car a bit while we
were standing outside.

No big worries totally, freeze plug 1 gave us a slight scare with what
looked like a leak.  It soon stooped.  Little bit of coolant out of a
hose but it soon just stopped.  Car ran decently well Id say.  He is
asleep right now but will be heading north tomorrow morning.

So many people made this possible and go sooooo smoothly.  Grover, Greg,
Eric, Calum, Phil, Steve, Mike, Rob, Greg V, Brian.....god there are a
lot of them actually.  But we hope to hear from Chris first thing monday
morning when he writes saying he got home

Here's the pics
Dropping the engine
http://chris.bowlcorp.com/
Installing the engine.
http://chris.bowlcorp.com/day2/

And there are some gratoutius chriscar pics in there for JGY to pedel on
Ebay ;)

Kevin
93 classic (Automatic, Stuff)
and a sore back that wont go away.