also - coolant bleeding info needed

Matt MA MA@legacypartners.com
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:03:12 -0600

David,

I'm going from memory, but here is the general gist of it:

Part I: Draining
1. Wait for engine to cool off somewhat
2. Unscrew radiator cap (careful of steam), and all drain and bleeder
plugs (see below)
3. Drain coolant
4. Reinstall 2 drain plugs but leave bleeders open.
5. Fill radiator with water
6. Reinstall lower bleeder plug when coolant comes out
7. Continue refilling radiator until water level reaches neck

Part II: Flushing
1. Close the only plug left, the upper bleeder plug
2. Close radiator cap
3. Start engine (w/ heater on max heat)
4. Wait for engine fan to come on (leave AC off)
5. Shut down engine
out is clear
7. Once you have clear coolant draining, refill your radiator with
coolant/water mixture and you're done.

Here are the four drain/bleeder plugs:
1. Drain plug under the radiator. It's a plastic screw, so be gentle.
You only have to remove the splash guard from the passenger side. The
driver's side splash guard can stay.
2. Drain plug on the engine block, directly underneath the exhaust
manifold, towards the passenger side. I think it's 14mm or so. This one
is a pain to get to so I never bothered. You will have to repeat the
flushing process more times if you don't open this plug.
3. Lower bleed plug below the distributor area, right where the
radiator hose goes into the engine. This might be 12mm or so.
4. Upper rubber bleeder cap against the firewall, on the end of a
little elbow rising up from the heater pipes. I think it's right around
the EGR area.

matt ma . 92 SE-R