sprung a leak :(

spdracer@mail.utexas.edu spdracer@mail.utexas.edu
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:06:59 -0600

Hmm... first time my car has done this... except I'm not sure what it's leaking.
 I thought it was oil at first.  Coming from the passenger side.  There's fluid
all over the right control arm and the lower side of the tie-rod boot (the top
half is dry).  Some of the fluid seemed reddish when I wiped it off of the
control arm(redline tranny fliud perhaps?).  BUT, I noticed the tie-rod boot
had come off of the steering rack.... would there be any fluid in there?  It
was NOT leaking yesterday.  I wiped everything down and I'm hoping it doesn't
leak anymore.  The fluid on the ground was fairly light colored.. seemed a bit
light for motor oil... though I'm using mobil 1 synthetic which only has around
1k miles on it.  It looks darker on the dipstick than on the concrete floor (of
my dad's just built, brand new garage!  first stain i guess).

Any ideas?  I looked all over the bottom of the passenger side of the car and
couldn't find any leaks.  I hope it was just the tie-rod boot.  A little more
info: everything in front of the control arm seemed dry, the rubber shield by
the oil pan seemed dry.  But the control arm, some of the sway bar, and the
lower half of the tie-rod boot were wet.

Khiem