Red Stripe Recall Notice

RKOandson@aol.com RKOandson@aol.com
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:01:27 -0600

So I go to my mailbox on Saturday. Snuggled in amongst the usual
monthly bills and the wife's endless mail-order catalogues is a
tri-fold red-striped "Important Safety Recall Notice" from my friends
at Nissan MOtors of America.

I open it and verify that it in fact relates to my 2003 Nissan Sentra
SE-R SPEC-V. I read that the same notice is being sent to owners of
"some 2002-2003 model year Nissan Altima and 2002-2004 model year
Sentra vehicles equipped with the 2.5 liter engine". I plead guilty.

What got my immediate attention was the Reason for the Recall. "There
is a possibility that certain egine operating conditions may cause
damage to the pre-catalyst. Material from inside a damaged pre-catalyst
could enter the engine and result in increased oil consumption. If
the engine oil level is not checked on a periodic basis and drops
below the low level, and the driver continues to operate the vehicle
ignoring noticeable engine noise, engine damage may occur which could
result in a fire". YIKES!

The "What Nissan Will Do" paragraph described corrective actions. They
ranged from reprogramming the electronic control module to installing
additional heat shields on certain components. The most drastic
choice is TOTAL ENGINE REPLACEMENT.

Has anybody else gotten this notice and actually brought their vehicle
in for the required service? My SPEC-V has only about 4,500 miles on
it! Can I get a new one?

I have an appointment on Thursday and the local dealer says they have
NOT had to schedule an engine replacement - so far.

I am interested in hearing feedback from you ultra-techie Nissan nuts
in particular.

Thanks in advance,

Ron K. Olson - (pure stook 2003 SE-R SPEC-V mid-life crisis-mobile)
Marblehead, Massachusetts