Hole in Trans

wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:27:33 -0600

At 08:13 AM 10/26/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Here's some more pics of my trans problem. Click on the link and help me
>out. I'm a NOob at this :-(

Woah!  Never seen one do that before !?!

My first thought when you said "hole" was you'd hit something on the
road.  Back when I wrecked mine, the curb I ran over punched a nice one in
my outboard housing.  But obviously yours came from the inside out.

Something in there broke, and got wedged between the diff' gear and the
housing and busted things up.  I doubt it started with the diff,
though.  Did you find any other loose or missing parts in there?

 From the 1st post, it sounds like you've got another tranny to splice with
it and try to get one good one.  If you have any more detail on what years
they are, and what's broken it would help.  But in general, all the parts
should swap between the two.  Only hitch is, there are shims to adjust the
clearance between the diff bearings and their races in the case.  You're
supposed to measure and re-shim if you replace cases, bearings, or anything
that would affect them.  I don't know how much variance there really is  --
you *might* be able to get away with skipping that, or the bearings might
destruct in short order.  I haven't checked the tranny guts section of the
FSM in years, but there might be other clearances you need to adjust.

    -Wayne    '91 NX2k - '93 NK2k - '93 SE-R - '92 SE-R parts car