[se-rscca] Fwd: [ClubZ Chat] FW: Accident at Buttonwillow

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 20:07:30 -0500

mike kojima wrote:

>Yeah heat can be real bad.  I was at Willow testing Tom Paules car on a
>100 degree plus day.  I was busy working on the car and not really
>reazling that I was not drinking much water.  I jumped into TOm's car to
>test it myself and I noticed my vision was getting gray in the corners, I
>grayed out and put 4 off so I came right into the pits.  I got out of the
>car and passed out right into Rob Cadle and Tom's arms.

    <snip>

>Since then I am really careful about my hydration.  I had sun stroke about
>10 years ago and am way more sentive to heat than before that.

Yeah, I had a similar experience in 89 while racing karts.  I was on the
hot grid waiting to go out, fully suited up with nylon suit and neck collar
in 90+ degree temps.  Turns out I got there too early and 3 classes went
out ahead of me.  I stayed suited up and when the 3rd class went out I
could feel the life go out of me.  It happened very quickly.  I had my
class reunion that night and barely made it there.  I was totally out of
it.  It's a very nasty experience.

George Roffe