Need help with wheel shimmy

billc1 billc@fred.net
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:31:06 -0500

> Julian Wrote:
> Usually vibration is caused by wheel balance problems but also make
> sure the wheels are bolted evenly. Wiggle them as you bolt each
> one down to make sure the lugnuts seat nice and centered.  You can
> try moving the front wheels to the back and see if that has any effect,
> at least it may confirm a balance issue.

These are both good ideas from Julian.  I may go a bit overboard when it comes
to torquing wheels, but I do it in four steps:

1. Hand tighten each (criss-cross pattern)
2. 30 pounds each (criss-cross pattern)
3. 50 pounds each (criss-cross pattern)
4. 80 pounds each (criss-cross pattern)

If that does not solve the problem, rotate the wheels front to back and see if
there is any change.  If so, you might need to go back to the tire installation
shop and look for a balance problem, bent rim, or out of round wheel.

Alignment problems are not likely to cause these symptoms.

Good luck.

Bill Conner