QR valve clearance adjustment?

Jim Crate jcrate@deepskytech.com
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 00:11:03 -0500

>Wrong, the buckets are select fit and there are many
>sizes avalible to adjust valve clearance to compensate
>for valve seat or face wear to difference in base
>cirle diameter when changing cams.

>To change the clearance for adjustment, you put a
>different thickness of bucket in.

Why doesn't the QR use shims like the KA?  It would seem to be much cheaper and
easier to manufacture shims in different thicknesses, rather than the whole
bucket.

As for wear, my 160K+ mile KA's valve clearances were within factory specs even
after years of being driven hard, many autocrosses, and 2K+ track miles.  There
was no noticeable wear anywhere in the top end of the motor.

Many people have also swapped cams on a KA (JWT or stock S13 cams) without
needing to change any shims.  Obviously regrinds will need new thicker shims.

Jim