Winter tire recommendation - 2003 SPEC-V

Jon Pennington cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 22:11:36 -0500

Bridgestone Blizzaks are said to be the best money can buy.  LM-22s are
excellent, but the smallest size available is still too large for a B15
(205 width is just too much patch for a 2700lb car).  The Blizzak WS-50,
however, is an excellent second choice, and is available in 185/65-15
(~$74) and 195/60-15 (~$77).  There are other winter tires out there, even
somewhat no-name tires.  Tire Rack tests seem to consistently put Blizzaks
on top of the performance heap, and I figure if you're going to do it, do
it right...

Note that a 14" wheel will NOT fit over your front brakes, so make sure
that you get a 15" package.  Another gotcha is that B15s use the same
"big" 4-bolt pattern, so don't let someone try to sell you a package
designed for Civics or Proteges or older Sentras.  Try to get wheels that
came from a '00+ Sentra GXE, a '94-98 240SX, or a '93-00 Altima.  The
5-spoke GXE aluminum wheels look really sharp; wish I had a set of those
for winter rubber.

For my B15, I have a set of 15*6" Altima steel wheels, and I'm saving for
some 195/60-15 Dunlop Sport A2s.  We don't keep enough snow on the roads
in my city (7-10 DAYS per year) to make "real" winter tires worth the
investment, and the A2s are only $57 each.  My Falken FK-451s definitely
won't cut the mustard, though.

--
-=|JP|=-        "Stays Fresh Longer!"

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren/   |  <//><