M3 meet ends very badly

Carlos Gutierrez cgutierrez@ci.glendora.ca.us
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 11:38:05 -0500

"S.L." said:

>>I hope something like this will NEVER happen to the sr20 community.>>

I don't think you need to worry about that to much.  Not only are we
1000x smaller than the BMW community, but for some reason I think we've
had enough reminders to act mature out there.  We're a pretty
responsible group, or at least I like to think that there those who will
always be around w/ an even keel to balance the community out.

You may have heard about it if you were on the main "deskmedia"
se-r-list as recently as Feb. 2000.  A main list member took an innocent
life while street racing many years ago, & served a heavy sentence for
it.

Then there are the ones who've left us all too soon, & not by some
thoughtless, selfish, stupid choice.  These are the ones whose memories
we will not tarnish w/ something like this.

My heart goes out to all involved in this tragedy, but that M3 driver
sure sounded like some young, dumb kid who had everything handed to him
& never worked for anything his whole life.  If I am mistaken, & this is
someone who was a hard working 25+ y.o. person, then I apologize.  But
why do I somehow think it's the first, & not the latter.

If you read thru the forums, any forum really, you get the sense that
these "ricers" (be they Japanese cars, or Euro ricers, VW, BMW, etc.)
have nothing better to do, & aren't very smart individuals.  The guy who
posted the orig. story feels the need to make it about "the Imola Red
M3", & "Oh my God, I hope it wasn't one of the M's"... You know what
pal, who gives a rip which car it was, somebody died horribly in it.

I dunno if I will get flamed for posting on that BMW forum, but if I can
get 1 person to show up at the track instead of street racing...

</rant>

CAG