Drive Shaft Replacement Trouble

Raymond A. Kawski sr20de@epix.net
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 16:22:24 -0500

Michael Jez wrote:

> When installing a new one, its a good idea to put the axle in the
> freezer with fresh grease on the plunging joint side of the axle

You don't need to freeze it at all.  Just put some greese on their
to center the the c-clip.  Once you have that place the axle into
the hole taking care not to disrupt the c-clip.  Then do a tap,
tap, slam and should plop into place.

If you find that you can only get it past the viscous coupling,
like you had it earlier, and you can't get it in fully take
the car out of gear and turn the axle a little.

I've never frozen the grease *EVER* and it always goes
in easily.  The problem is not just the C-clips fault the
viscous couplings splines and the diff splines can get
slightly off so turning the axle a little usually gets them
to line up.

RK
Has pulled about 50 driverside axles.
--
Ray Kawski
1998 Sentra SE Turbo, 1991 NX 2000, 350K mile 1991 Sentra SE-R