Drive Shaft Replacement Trouble

Michael Jez 93SER@attbi.com
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 15:33:12 -0500

Get a large prybar and jam it between the diff case and the plugning
joint-axle, pry it out of the diff, repleace the axle seal at the same time.
When installing a new one, its a good idea to put the axle in the freezer
with fresh grease on the plunging joint side of the axle splines where the C
clip sits.  Freezing the clip in place makes it 100X eassier to install the
axle in the diff, that C clip is a mofo to get right sometimes, I never have
problems on Acuras with them thou and I've done well over a 1000 trannies in
the last 2 years working for them. I do anywhere from 1-5 trannies a day
multiply that 5 days a week for 104 weeks... and U get the idea. I had a
problem with the axle not coming out on my 90 Maxima 5spd when I was
rebuilding the tranny, but it looked like the axle was really in that trans
for the past 300K miles and was never taken out. I've been doing clutches on
SE-Rs with drivers side axle left in the tranny just so I don't gotta mess
with the install of the axle back in the tranny.
Mike Jez