Need Help : Brake caliper painting

Humberto Gonzalez hgonzalez7@sbcglobal.net
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 14:34:17 -0500

Subject: Need Help : Brake caliper painting
...500 deg high temp engine paint, is that enough? OR do I need to get
those caliper specific paint?... spray that turns rust
into...primer...thought it might have...time...sanding it....what did
you guys use to stop the fluids from coming out of the line?
Ray S

Ray,

I used Folia Tec's caliper epoxy/paint to paint my AD22VF calipers. That
was about a 18 months ago and they calipers still look great. I've heard
of others using engine or other high temp paint, but never postive long
lasting results.

Regarding surface prep, some rust converting preps work, but will leave
an uneven and rough texture. It shouldn't take more than a few extra
minutes to remove surface rust. The final results are well worth the
additional time.

I wasn't too concerned with fluid loss when I painted my calipers, since
I was bleeding the whole system anyway. As long as the cap is on the
brake resevior, the amount of brake fluid the leaked was minimal. Now
would be a perfect time to install S.S. brake lines, if you haven't
already.

Good luck,
Humberto Gonzalez
aztecred92