Engine Removal Tips/Help....LONG!

wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:25:02 -0500

At 01:40 PM 9/28/2003 -0500, Steve wrote:
>here is my question(s), What is the best, worst, easiest way to pull the
>engine? I would prerfer not to pull the tranny if I could get away with it.

I've had my wrecked one in the garage for the better part of a year (wife
is getting pissed!) working on stripping parts and eventually pulling the
engine.  I'd love to see a step-by-step on removing the engine, but haven't
found one.

I did start keeping a written log of the removal process (about 60%
done.)  If it would help ya', I might be able to find time to type it
up.  Sounds like you've done them before though.

>I just don't see how there is room to pull the engine far enough forward
>to get it off of the input  shaft on the tranny.

I don't think there is.  But I believe it's easier to remove them together
then separate them outside the car anyway.  I've done numerous SR20 clutch
jobs, and to me getting the tranny out (with at home facilities) is a major
PITA.

I'm going to rent a hoist and drop mine out the bottom (remember to remove
lower tranny to block bolts)  But you can also lift it out the top with a
sling that allows a good amount of tilt.

    -Wayne    '91 NX2k - '93 NK2k - '93 SE-R - '92 SE-R parts car