Engine Block Drain Plug

Rick Zotz rick@zotz.com
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 15:37:14 -0500

Mark wrote:
> Will this area flush out without pulling the plug when I flush the system?
> My new coolant is orange and the old is green... I know enough that you
> don't mix the two. So, I'm hoping flushing the system will get rid of all
> the old stuff even if I don't remove the engine block plug.

Opening the engine block coolant drain is important to ensuring a good
flush, so keep looking.  The manifold heat shield is visible in the photo of
the engine block plug, and does not have to be removed.  The photos on my
site were taken long before I installed a header to provide a better view of
the engine block, some extra noise, and a minimal power increase barely
discernable from the seat of my pants... well, enough of that.

This is about all the advice I can provide:

- Use a small but powerful flashlight, like a MagLite.
- View the plug from the same area shown in the photo, as you crouch in
front of the right headlight.
- Reach under the manifold from above or below, and attempt to find the
plug.

Good luck...

Rick -Z-