high tech brake fluid question

Bruce.Hearn@cd-tech.com Bruce.Hearn@cd-tech.com
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:15:17 -0500

>The generator electrode passes a current through a filament
>which turns all water in the reagent into iodine.

Uh, I have never seen this device but I know just enough chemistry to say
that your statement is incorrect.  I would guess the reagent is, or has,
iodine.  This and water will mix to form an ionic solution or the iodine in
some way provides free electons to any dissolved water so it will be
"visible" to the detection electrodes.  Pure water has very little
conductivity.

I talked to one of my chemical engineers about this coulometric titrater
and he thinks, that if this detector was built to determine water in
hydrocarbons, it won't work very well in ester-based brake fluid as any
required chemistry will be quite different from simple hydrocarbons.

Keep us posted, though.

Bruce in Houston
"Beter living through chemistry"