Roll Bar install help

KIERAN A. LAVIN kal8121@feinberg.njit.edu
Sun, 31 Aug 2003 10:17:23 -0500

Ray S, you wrote:

> I just got my rollbar from Autopower and plan on installing it right
> before the OCT track day and I need some suggestions.  My question is,

Finally someone else from SoCal being safe and installing a rollbar in a
street-driven track slut!

> what should I use to cover the bolts that would be exposed on the
> underside of the car and in the wheelwell?  I once saw an install that

In mine, I really didn't cover the *BOLTS* with anything.  I'm sure
they're rusted to (or at least toward) hell right now and I should really
take them out and replace them or something at this point but I'm too
lazy.  I was warned about allowing water to get in around the plate that
goes on the underside of the car.  I think I used caulking as well as
black RTV to 'seal' between the plate and the floorpan of the car.  I'm
pretty sure some of that has come off now and I'll need to redo that
before winter... item #1,304 on the to-do list ;)

> Any better ones than that? Also, I want to put the rollbar in without
> cutting the carpet, ie. just drill the holes directly on the carpet.
> Good idea? Bad idea? TIA

Bad idea!  The rollbar has a height to match floor pan (metal) to the
underside of your headliner.  You'll probably have trouble getting the bar
in without cutting the carpet.  I think I remember fitting the hoop in
prior to actual installation and it was so tight I was *SURE* I had been
sent a rollbar for a sunroof car (which, btw, are a different height -
higher)  After cutting the carpet, I was ok.  I've seen some just do a
slap and pull the carpet back or to the side, I've seen others cut the
piece out entirely, and I actually cut an X in the carpet and pulled the
four sides up.  To each their own.  Another thing about drilling those
holes in the carpet... make sure you take your rear tires off when you're
doing the 'feet' in the wheelwell!

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/june02/rollbar.php

kieran