sumitomo tires

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 08:43:44 -0500

George Roffe wrote:

> I'm a big fan of Yokohamas.  I used A306 (I think that was the tire) on my
> G20 before going to 17s and they were a good tire.

I have to agree, I think Scumitomo's blow goats.
I had a set of the HTRZII's on a 750iL, and they've
had 'road hazard' issues over and over again, i.e.: sidewall
bubbling from broken nylon strands, that's in the 235/45/R17
variety, driven by my father on decent North Jersey roads.

Had the same problems with a set of Dunlop SP A2's
on my wife's Camry.  3 out of 4 with 'road hazard'
problems.  I drive the same roads all the time - so does
my wife.

Now, I could understand if 1 out of 4 had some sort
of 'road hazard' issue, but when it happens to 3 out of 4,
it's a crappy tire.  Roads aren't perfect in the NE, funny
thing is, I've never had a problem on Yokohamas.

195/60/R15 ES100's on my wife's Camry.

195/60/R14 ES100's on my SE-R.

No problems, ever due to defect in materials or
workmanship.

> Unlike most people, I think the Dunlop D60A2 tires suck as well.

I have Dunlop and Sumitomo on my list of bad tire
companies who's products I'd never buy again, any of them.
If either of them came up with a tire that was 'best in class'
for whatever conditions I was driving in, I'd settle for second
best rather than support either of them - I doubt that's
terribly likely though.

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.