OBDI into OBDII P10 G20?

Jon Pennington cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:47:01 -0500

Brad Richards said:

> I'm freshening up a high-port JDM SR20DE to put into a '96 G20, and will
> be going with a JWT ECU and cams.

Neat.:)

> and wiring harness from a '93 SE-R.  Is there any reason I can't use the
> OBDI ECU and harness in the G20?

There's no reason that it wouldn't pass a sniffer test, but it would fail
both visual and scanner-type tests.  Visually, the engine *looks* like a
'91-93 engine; you can only put new engines in old cars, not old engines
in new cars.  Secondly, since your car is *supposed* to be OBD-II, the
inspection station will be expecting an OBD-II port under your dash, which
a Classic/early P10 harness will not provide.  Computer doesn't connect,
but even if it would, the scanner looks for OBD-II stuff that simply isn't
on your car or in your ECU.

You'd probably have better luck trying to install a '96 200SX ECU in your
car...I don't know anything about B14 emissions stuff, though...

--
-=|JP|=-        "Stays Fresh Longer!"

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren/   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |         cowboydren @ b15sentra . net         |