ceramics(was RE: Forged pistons)

Joshua Gary ewraven@hotmail.com
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:09:00 -0500

I remember that at one time they built a ceramic engine and put it into a
Formula One type of car.   I watched a TV show about it one day back in the
80's or early 90's.  It could have been that same Beyond 2000 show the other
guy mentioned.  Aren't the heat tiles on the Space Shuttle ceramic?

The Isuzu Vehicross; the molds for that car were made out of ceramic.  They
were supposed to revolutionize the way we make cars as it's a lot cheaper to
make a mold out of ceramic than steel.  Or so they said.  There plan was to
put out a new car every year or two using cheaper molds made out of ceramic.
  The Vehicross was the first of those cars; but unfortunately it was a
failure.