Forged pistons

Walker Benjamin C1C CS20 C04Benjamin.Walker@USAFA.edu
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:00:19 -0500

/clip
> The point is, the heat and engergy should be kept in the exaust gases if
> at
> all possible. In Bruce's ceramic engine (Are those Space Shuttle tiles you
> use for pistons Bruce?), he is right, the entire coolant system of the
> engine *may* be able to be removed, allowing for large advances in machine
> efficiency. You're right Jay, we don't want the coolant system, but it
> isn't
> counterproductive, because it keeps the engine from destroying itself via
> heat soak.

> -Ben
> 1994 Black SE-R
/clip

I just wanted to put a couple of pennies in on this discussion and I haven't
posted here since my intro.  And being that my academic major is Mech Engr
focused on Systems design, I'm very interested!

I'd really like to hear or see more on this ceramic engine.  It might cost a
lot to make and it might be a little trouble to keep in good shape--any
trouble with broken pistons?--but if it is good enough to bring the shuttle
out of LEO back to earth, why not use it as an alternative to keep heat
where it needs to be?  Sounds like an excellent plan to me.

Great Discussion!  Keep up the good work!

BenJ
03 Nissan Spec V
95 Mitsubishi GSX