tranny oil change

Jim Wright wrightj@apple.com
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:34:12 -0500

On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 04:07  PM, Slamtry wrote:

> Does anyone have a definitive answer to the question of what is the
> change
> interval for transmission oil in a '91 Classic with a manual tranny? My
> FSM has no recommendations beyond checking it every 15k or so. Does
> this
> mean it never needs to be changed?

I don't believe there is a specified interval, basically just check the
levels every 15K and top off as needed.  It doesn't mean it never needs
changed, it just means that there is no recommendation for this.

> Also, has anyone changed from Dino tranny oil to synthetic at well over
> 140,000 and did they have any problems with leaking seals?

I did mine at around that mileage, and haven't had any problems at all,
I used Amsoil brand, don't recall the exact weight but if you're
curious I can check that for you.

I'm thinking that at this mileage it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to
change the oil, as it will have accumulated a lot of metal filings over
the years and putting in fresh oil should help long term.