Forged pistons

spdracer@mail.utexas.edu spdracer@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:33:21 -0500

> >Water injection and EGR don't suppress
> > detonation by soaking up heat

> The chemical process by which water, a smist, turns to a gas, as steam,
> requires energy, as heat. In turn it cools the intake charge, like an
> intercooler -how does this not suppress detonation?

Hmm... I guess it all depends on your point of view.  With water injection and
EGR, you aren't soaking up heat per say.  You're adding a thermal mass and
therefore reducing the average temperature of the entire mass(intake air and
water/egr added).  And that's different from the pistons soaking up heat
(which I think will stop anywayz once the motor has been run for a bit).  So I
guess if you consider the intake charge one system and the pistons, etc.
another system, it makes sense.

Khiem