Ceramic-coating pistons

mike kojima choaderboy2@yahoo.com
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:17:28 -0500

OEM's do use coatings.  Have you disassembled a late
model Nissan lately?

They use piston skirt coatings and a special hard
anodizing process to build up a barrier layer on the
dome of the piston and the first compression ring.
They don't use a cermaic because it adds to HC's
because the ceramic absorbs minute amounts.

Coatings don't make a huge differene in power, I just
find that they help things like reliabilty and
durabilty enough to make them worthwhile for me and my
budjet.  They are not the first things I would put in
a motor if I had very limited funds.  The piston
coatings help me build a tighter, lower leakdown and
quieter motor.  The TCB's help preserve the ring lands
and valves in a marginal situation, like when roughing
out a map for the ECU (development of pump gas
programs for instance).

Factory race teams use coatings extensivly.  Nissans
IRL motor used Swain stuff on the Pistons, the
bearings and the rings.

Mike