Roll Bar question

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 22:51:56 -0500

"Ray Sta.Juana" wrote:

> benefit of the diagonal cross brace. Which one do I get? I'm really not into
> SCCA so getting in compliance is not a problem, I just want the safer of the
> two. Any ideas? TIA

Well, I guess I have to step in and bring up a
discussion George and a few others were having
some months ago.

Basically, if you put a rollbar/harness into a street car
it's going to be extremely unsafe in a crash, if your not
going to wear a helmet around on the street, your asking
for (in an impact) to have your very soft head meet up
with a very hard rollcage tubing.  So, basically unless
you really *want* to:

A) Look really silly driving around with a helmet
     and full harness on the street.

or

B) Unbolt and remove the rollcage whenever your
     driving on the street.

Having a rollcage/harness in your car will be extremely
dangerous in the event you do get into an accident
while not wearing a helmet.

<rant>
If street racing is _not_ your objective, than please
disregard the rest of this message, a.k.a. my ranting
on the subject :)

I would like to reiterate that street racing is extremely
dangerous/stupid and if you really want to drive that way,
GET INTO THAT SCCA STUFF.

Besides the fact that at the best possible case,
you risk losing your priveledge to drive.

Funny thing is, too, once you get into that SCCA
stuff, you lose the urge to hammer it on the streets.

Street racing is also extremely frowned upon around
this list, anyway, and anybody with half a brain could
see why.

Look at the list archives for 11/27/2002, read what
Mike Kojima and George Roffe have had to say on
the subject..

Also look at the archives for 2/26/2003 and look
on the thread on 'Alfie' Alfonso Rojas..

Check out the tribute to Matt on the se-r.net website,
as well.  It was one of the first things on the se-r.net
website I read.

I highly suggest you refrain from this type of activity.

I used to be a guy who claimed to play on deserted
roads, but after playing around with my car a bit,
and going to a couple autocrosses, I gave it up.

The reality is, on the street, anybody can do
anything at any time - like pull out in front of you
for no reason whatsoever, without regard to whether
or not your exhaust is loud enough to warn them.

As well, most street racing is 1/4 mile(ish),
turbo cars are great for that, but if you street race,
I sincerely hope the police take your license before
you kill somebody (or yourself).

There was a recent CSI: Miami episode with a story
(probably not true) of a guy killing some street racer
for revenge for tboning and killing his mother in a street
race.  With great power comes great responsibility.
</rant>

Be safe, have fun.

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>