Spewing worthless crap: was Re: 5W-20 engine oil?

Jay Stewart jay@nx2k.com
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 17:30:36 -0500

> 2)  Don't tell anyone to shut up, what gives you the right?

You spread misinformation, go spread it somewhere else.

> 3)  'Flag' hours are BS.

You do not know how flag hours work, otherwise you wouldn't be spewing crap.
I will try to explain.

First off, let me tell you that my brother is an ASE certified dealer tech.
I've done a *bit* of wrenching on my own.

Do you know how waiters and waitresses get paid? They make less than min
wage (in some cases) and work off tips for the rest. Their salary is
adjusted for the industry. (Remember this because  we are going to come back
to it.) The same applies to dealer techs. (see?) Their hourly rate is
adjusted to lower than it should be to make up for flag hours.

Do you know that there are an equally number of jobs that pay *less* time
than they take? Mitsubishi gives 4 hours for a motor swap. Even a good
mechanic with a lift and all of the tools takes 8 hours.

Flag hours are not an exact measurement of time, they are more of a relative
indication of what a job is worth. You need to think of flag hours as more
"work units" and not as real bits of time.

Now you have to take into account that dealer guys can really know what they
are doing. Jez can swap a tranny in 45 minutes he says, and I believe him.
There is a difference between doing a clutch on your SER once every two
years rather than doing one a week.

There is a difference between using a jack and jackstands in your garage
over using a lift in a nice clean, air conditioned shop. There is a
difference between your $3000 of Craftsmen tools, and a $25,000 case full of
Snap on bits, 4 air compressors, and every air tool you could possibly need.
Have you ever been in the service area at a dealership and really looked
around? Notice that they have oil and atf piped into a system so you can
fill up a car in a minute or less.

You want to bet that the first time Jez did a tranny swap it took longer
than 45 minutes? It did. He and people like him are good because of the
frequency at which they do these things. Even shadetree weekend mechanics
don't get the number of ours and experience as these guys do.

> 4)  Yeah, that is how most of the industry works.  It's still
> robbery, and it's still
>      wrong.

Are you jealous? Free industry. Free trade. Are you a communist?

> think I'd ever come near
>      your shop.

I don't own a shop. I am a computer geek who charges hourly. Right now I am
getting paid. (Imagine that.)

> 5)  And lastly, it's obvious that this struck a chord with you, or you
>      wouldn't have blatantly overreacted.

Ignorance is bliss. Gad you are happy!

-Jay