aftermarket inner tie rods are shorter....

Aaron K se-r@limitedslip.net
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 02:58:21 -0500

Well, I just got finished putting in another set of tie rods... What happened
was I lowered the front end a little bit more, and there wasn't enough
adjustment to correct the resulting toe out. As it turns out, the aftermarket
ones I had put in where about 1/2" shorter. Somehow forgot that when I put
them in.

Here are pics of a Nissan OEM inner tie rod and an outer one (don't remember
the brand):

http://limitedslip.net/external/oem_vs_aftermarket_tierod.jpg

And, for your amusement: I couldn't find a suitable, cheap inner tierod
removal tool that I could rent (one that worked would have been $60). So, a
couple bucks worth of iron, and I threw this together (pay no attention to
the horrible looking welds, they did hold up really well):

http://limitedslip.net/external/tierod_tool.jpg
http://limitedslip.net/external/tierod_tool2.jpg

Work pretty damn well, too, once I reinforced it more.

Aaron