Cap KABOOM

Charlie Guthrie smplmchn@mindspring.com
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:27:58 -0500

My suspicion is that the cap had a stress crack that has vibrated long
enough that it has generated a lot of debris. Also, you were, probably
misfiring through the crack for some time which generated more heat and
debris. When you finally "pulled the plug" it all came apart in your hand.
My guess is that a new cap and rotor will seem like a complete overhaul with
the performance improvement.

And, Larry if you are listening, I read the list virtually every day, but
don't usually have much to contribute (being a BMW junkie). I'm not an SE-R
mechanic, but I play one on the weekends. My son has a '92 SE-R which is his
daily "going to school" car and track toy. I have a long history with
Nissan, having campaigned a Datsun 289Z as a daily driver and track toy for
over 8 years. Oh, yeah, I'm
Charlie Guthrie
Raleigh, NC