Oil leak - Timing Chain Cover - Low cost repair available?

Wayne Cox wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:42:52 -0500

At 04:00 PM 7/14/2003 -0500, rcoffman@sapc.edu wrote:
>Is there a way to repair this without spending a fortune( estimate is
>$1000 plus).  The mechanic says that you must remove the cylinder head to
>replace the gasket which turns out to be a silcone sealent.

Where exactly is it leaking from that they have to pull the head?!  $1000
is about right labor wise for jobs that require head R&R.  But I doubt it's
really necessary.   I know I've heard of at least a couple in-car timing
cover replacements over the years.  Anyone?

    -Wayne    '91 NX2k - '93 NK2k - '93 SE-R - '92 SE-R parts car