1st Test Drive: clutch/shifting feel normal?

Stephen Westhafer stephenw@innovationx2.com
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:24:18 -0500

I test drove a classic for the first time today. The clutch felt EXTREMELY
light in comparison to cars I've driven before, and almost felt as though it
changed in pedal feel the further i pushed it down.

Shifter was extremely notchy in feel and a bit difficult to get into 1st and
5th gear. I kept on having to check to make sure I was in gear.

While not the worst car I've driven in "feel" for shifting, its quite
different from what I'm use to, a 95 MR2 Turbo. I'm used to quick short
throws, and i felt a bit more confident in knowing what gear i'm in with my
car.

The current owner has done all services, including installing a new
transmission, at the local dealership, which in my personal opinion, isn't
all that great of a dealership.

Is it possible that the feel will improve after using redline mt
transmission fluid? Or is this normal?

Everything else seemed good about the car. Really appreciate the lightness
in comparison to my MR2. It was also nice breaking out the rear tires in an
FF car. I'm hopefully testing out another SE-R locally, so if i don't get
any replies i'll just compare against the other.