Tranny fluid leak.

Wayne Cox wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 15:11:43 -0500

At 12:27 PM 7/9/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a slow leak coming from the transmission, right where the shifter
>bars go into the transmission housing and where it's covered by a rubber
>sleeve.

Yup, that's a "they all do that" kinda problem.  Surprisingly, I don't hear
much about it on the list here.

You have to disconnect the shift linkage (one bolt) and drive out a
roll-pin to remove the bracket thingy.  Then replace the seal around the
rod.  The clearance between the rod and tranny housing is pretty tight, so
it's not like gear oil is going to gush out, but you might want a drip
catcher. Thus it's not worth draining the whole thing. Beware that
excessive hammering to remove & replace the roll pin can potentially deform
the aluminum tranny housing.  I think an air hammer might be the best bet,
but maybe  someone else has a suggestion.

    -Wayne    '91 NX2k - '93 NK2k - '93 SE-R - '92 SE-R parts car