Tranny oil change help.

Bourdin, Vincent BOurdin@ptc.com
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 07:19:48 -0500

All,

My 92 NX2k is getting hard to shift, so it must be time to put some new oil
in. After reading the archives, I've got some of that MT-90 stuff, cleaned the
tranny cases nice, and got both 3/8 and 1/2 in. sockets to get the plugs out
(those sockets are definitely not the ones meant for those plugs ... a bit
small).
However, after a nice clean up of the tranny cases, and a good look at the
drain and filler plugs, the few threads that stick out look like trouble ....
There are not new ... (obviously, car has 120k mi), but not rusty either. They
are not that sharp, so my concern is: am I gonna be able to get them out
without damaging them and/or cracking the case, plus, be able to put them back
on without creating leaks and cracks?
I don't have a torch to heat up around the plugs as suggested by some of you.
Should I just attempt to unscrew the plug with the engine hot? Would that
help. Is it recommended, or not?

Since I don't know who last put the plugs in and how well (or bad) they did
it, my plan is to try to get the plugs out by only using a "reasonable" amount
of torque, and if they don't come out, just have my Nissan dealership do it
(it can't be that expensive) and put in the oil I already bought. What do you
think?

Thanks,

Vince.