Solid and Vented

hlava lhlvava@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 22:53:01 -0500

Got my new wheels and tires... can now see my old rotors and dirty calipers.
And, since I'm still getting a wierd noise from brake application, I'll have
to assume that I slightly warped the rotor(s) during a diy project a month
ago... no sign of unusual wear on the pads or marks on the rotor.

I've decided to just get new rotors. They'd be nice and clean, no rust, and
maybe the weird noise will go bye bye.

I drive a '91 Classic with ABS, and from my FSM I see that the fronts are
250mm x 18mm, vented. And the backs are 234mm x 7mm and solid... hard to
believe the rears are so much thinner.

Anyway, would their be a problems or benefits going with a solid front rotor
rather than a vented? I found a potentially great deal at groupbuycenter.com
for Brembo's. The deal is for solid core rotors, only.

Also, am I reading my FSM correctly and that those are the dimensions for
the front and back? I emailed them to see about application for my car. They
returned my message and let me know that their catalog is messed up, glad
they admit it, and want to verify the correct sizes.

After replacing the rotors, I'll clean and paint the calipers... whooo
eeeeee!

Thanks for your time,

Mark