Coilbind and Perch height

Scott_Higashi@necelam.com Scott_Higashi@necelam.com
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:47:20 -0500

Well Eric,

The 8" 325# ERS has a 4.8" travel to coilbind.  Assume that each front
spring supports 850#.
That means initial squish is 2.6".  That leaves 2.2" of travel left.  If
you have 2.2" or less distance
between the top of your strut and the backside of your tophat (this assumes
that the bumpstop
can squish to zero), then you'll bottom before you coilbind.  I'll bet
you'll probably be okay.  I
use 8" springs on most of my B13 setups, but with softer springs I have
needed to use 10"s.
The problem with standard struts and long springs (especially 10") is that
you can't put the
lower perch low enough to lower the car as far as you want.  With custom
coilovers you can
start the lower perch threads much lower (lower than the stock perch was)
and allow a LOT
more flexibility as far as spring length and weight is concerned.

-Scott

So is it okay to run 8" springs if you have the car lowered say 1 1/4 inch
with AGXs?  I'm using 8" 325 lb in the front and 7" 325lb in the rear with
Motivational upper plates.  Hopefully I can save up my milk money and buy
Scott's setup once these AGXs die.

Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R (for sale)
1991 Sentra SE-R

  I was planning on buying some 8" springs or 10" springs at the