koni inserts

Steve Foltz stevefoltz@hotmail.com
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 18:38:16 -0500

Cookie wrote:
>Each application is specifically designed for each chassis.  This is not a
>one design fits >all product.  This is the beauty of this setup.  All the
>thinking has been done for you.  >Just slap and go.  Well you may want to
>do corner weighing while you're at it.

Its really pretty simple.  If you take a 325# 7-inch spring and compress it
about 4.33 inchs then all the coils of that spring will be touching each
other.  That is coil bind.  Now if you take that spring and you have to
adjust it all the way to the top of the perch to get the 1.4 inch drop you
want then you could run into a problem with the spring compressing
completely before the strut has actually run out of travel.  That is my
concern.  This setup is so new to us here that I just raise this as
something that should be watched.  I would love to get my hands on the specs
of the spring (like you can with Eibach springs, compression rates before
coil bind, etc) and then measure a car up to see what it really can do.  I
guess you can say I dont trust TEIN.  I know that 99% of the world will
lower the car more then 1.5 inchs.  I also know that 99% of the world
doesnt know what coil bind is.  I dont trust generally good feedback as an
indication that this would not occur on my car.  The TEIN are only 1.5
inchs shorter then stock ( I think).  I know that with my struts I do run
out of suspension travel and I have about the same amount of lowering and
travel available.  This only happens at the track but it does happen.  It
puts my car in the air if I hit a berm wrong.  So if I had the tein setup I
would not want to lower it more then about 1.5 inchs.  At least with the
Konis you get to use the GC Camber Caster Plates that give you some of that
travel back.  1.5 inchs of strut reduction + .75 of lowering with the
camber/caster plates is better then the 1.5 inchs that the tein gives you
with the struts since you cannot use GC Plates and TEIN does not make a
equivalent (and it can not becuase the top of its spring is to big to go
thru hole in the nissan frame and still allow for camber adjustment).

Steve Foltz
98 Sentra SE