koni inserts

David Pertuz davidpertuz@mindspring.com
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 22:17:35 -0500

>Scott Higashi was telling Ray and I that at least the rears (even the
>supposedly higher spring rate Eibachs) can be taken off without a spring
>compressor.  He was pretty sure about the fronts too.  I'm with you
>though... if I have one, I might as well use it!

Hmm, I don't have one, but I think I'd keep using one anyway :) If I watched
someone do it without a compressor I'd do it the next time, but only then.

>I guess you can refer to George's e-mail about stiffening up the strut
>having an effect on the life of the strut if the spring is not enough to
>handle the car...

I think that George (the Koni guy, really) was referring to something
slightly different. (care to chime in?) If I cranked my AGXes all the way to
4 and 8 when they were brand new and with stock springs, then...see Geo's
message. But I believe that after the strut is worn out enough that it is
significantly softer on, say, the "1" setting, when you turn it up a notch
(to "2", say) you are effectively returning it to the same damping level
that you had on "1" when it was new. I do not know what the valving and
internal adjustment mechanism is like on a single-adjustable shock (or a
double-, for that matter) but this is the only thing that makes sense to me.

david