koni inserts

KIERAN A. LAVIN kal8121@oak.njit.edu
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 15:15:06 -0500

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, David Pertuz wrote:

> Oh, no doubt. The stock rates are only 125/112. Do you think yours are shot

Holy crap... for some reason I assumed stock rates were higher than that.
So... what do you need a spring compressor for again? ;)

> because of how much the ProKits lower the car? That would be my first

I don't think it's so much the ProKits lowering the car as it is the low
spring rates on them.  I don't know what they are but I know they're not
much more than stock.  Because of that, they won't keep the strut from
bottoming every chance it gets.

I guess (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that you have a strut
(AGX) that's the same length as stock and you're putting in springs
(ProKits) that are shorter than stock that have about the same spring
rate.  With the same spring rate *BUT* lowered, you're bottoming a lot
more than stock.  This would wear out the struts a lot quicker, I'd assume

> suspicion. I will be interested to see what the long-term results are of
> people using AGXes with the 2nd-gen. Hyperco springs. I would probably have
> a set of those if I did not live in Michigan.

Know what I'd be interested in... I remember when AGX's came out that they
were basically the same thing as GAB's.  What did people use with the GAB
suspension?  Is there anyone out there that has GAB's and ProKits?  I'd
assume the ProKits would wear out GAB's as well?

> Why? I'd probably call the ProKits crap before I called the AGXes crap. I

Correct... you're entirely correct.  But when you have a nice new
suspension on it's way into the car, AGX's are crap ;P

> with the AGXes. I would like to see what an SE-R handles like with stock
> springs and Konis, though.

I've got all kinds of different setups that I'd like to try out!  Stock
suspension, stock struts with lowering springs, stock springs with AGX's,
etc, etc, etc... the list goes on and on and on.

> Last? That's just on the "1" setting...they are lasting forever so far :) I

I don't know how much the setting will make a difference to the life of
the strut?  I'd think you're still hitting the same pothole and the strut
is getting slammed into the bumpstop because that depends on the springs
and not the setting that you have your strut set to

> And he can swap the whole set in 5 minutes! ;)

While drinking 8 cases of beer and juggling 4 elephants!

kieran
sending e-mails from everywhere but work or home ;)