800Watt stereo VS Westco Battery

Ray Sta.Juana raystajuana@hotmail.com
Thu, 29 May 2003 18:38:04 -0500

Actually, my system consists of four MB Quart speakers (100 watt RMS each)
and one 12" Sub (400watts RMS) and two amps so I don't THINK it's that
heavy. I'm mostly into sound quality and tonal balance, not heavy booming
bass.

The main reason I was considering the Westco Batt is because I'm installing
a PR CAI and was contemplating either relocating the batt to the trunk OR
using a small batt like the Westco. At the same time, I wanted to solve the
problem of my lights dimming during bass heavy songs. The parts car that I
bought already has a Red Top Optima Batt so I was thinking of using that and
relocating it to the trunk but if I would be able to get away with the
Westco and still meet my electrical needs then that's what I was gonna do.

It seems that I won't be able to use the Westco due to my current draw so I
ordered the Summit batt reloc kit and wiring kit to move the Red Top Optima
to the trunk. I'm also considering an alternator rebuild to put out more
juice plus I'm gonna try out Joe Stewarts advice on different pulleys.
Thanks for all the replies guys, at least I won't be wasting my money on
unneccesary mods.

	Ray S
	98 Sentra SE
	99 Sentra SE-L donor

>From: Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
>To: "Ray Sta.Juana" <raystajuana@hotmail.com>
>CC: se-r@se-r-list.org, SoCal-SERCA@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: 800watt stereo VS Westco Battery
>Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 17:41:25 -0400

Okay Ray,

I just have chime in with an observation,
you can take it for what it's worth.

You have a car with an 800W stereo system, including I'm sure
some huge sub woofers in a big chipboard box..

You're really having a quandry with the relatively small
12V31M, weighing in at 25 lbs, it's a racecar's best friend.

On a street car that you have a huge weight penalty
on already with the huge stereo system, your having
an issue with what battery to run, and upset about
not being able to use the tiny Westco.

For your application, you clearly require
a BAB (big ass battery).  Get a big optima,
don't get the dry cell motorcyle battery.  It's not
up to the task.

Westco 12V31M:

12 V
31 AMP HOUR
475 CCA
25lbs

Optima 800S/U:

12 V
56 AMP HOUR
800 CCA
39/40lbs

14 extra lbs and you can run all the huge stereo you want.