squeaking brakes

Charlie Guthrie smplmchn@mindspring.com
Sat, 24 May 2003 19:31:11 -0500

Out 92 SE-R uses original Nissan shims and we never get squeal. I was
surprised that the Nissan shims are 2 piece shims that interlock together
(something that I had not seen on other cars I have owned).
My experience with the "red stuff" from Pep Boys, etc. has been like yours,
mostly. If you do not let the red goo completely dry (i.e. overnight) then
it just squeezes out from between the caliper and the pad.
One trick that you may want to try is slightly chamfering the leading edges
of the pads about 1/16". In my experience this has cured squeal on a number
of cars. It just keeps the leading edge from acting like a squeegee and
starting the vibration.

We had to replace a starter on the car today...yuck! Sometimes I really hate
front wheel drive cars. Ten pounds of #@%* in a five pound sack.
Charlie G & Pete
1992 SE-R