Spec-V feedback

Joshua Gary ewraven@hotmail.com
Thu, 15 May 2003 12:02:17 -0500

I've got 20k miles on my November 2001 bought stock Spec V.

The shifter was hard to use at first; but, I got used to it within a few
thousand miles.  My biggest problem with the shifter was finding 6th while
on the highway.  It's very easy to inadvertanly go into reverse.  I've just
barely crunched the gears a few times doing that.  I always take my time
putting it into 6th.  That's not something I'd want to do in a hurry.  The
rest of the gears I've gotten used to and can work them with no problems.
Getting used to having 6 gears takes a while; that and the low redline.  But
the extra low end torque makes up for it.

The back end is loose and does require attention when cornering.  Other than
that though; it does corner quiet well.  I've still got the stock 215/45R17
Continentals on it.  I've heard that the car really opens up more with
different tires.

Overall; I do like the car alot.  I've gotten a best of 33mpg while driving
up to Dallas.  I normally average 27mpg around town.  The steering is very
good and responsive.

The Brakes are excellent IMO.  Although they do lock easy at slow speeds on
wet black top roads. That isn't that big of a problem and supposedly goes
away with different tires also.  It isn't so bad that I wish I had ABS
though; I just have to compensate for it on wet roads.

The drivers seat is very comfortable and supportive; even on long trips.

Other than a piece of trim that kept popping loose on the dashboard when
new; I haven't had a single problem with this car.