Spec-V feedback

Justin De Witt justin_d@ev1.net
Wed, 14 May 2003 19:52:14 -0500

Hey everybody,

My 93 is really starting to show her age and I'm suffering "new car fever"!

I test drove an 03 WRX a few weeks ago and was actually kind of
underwhelmed.  I think I'd read too many reviews, had too high of an
expectation, and was too nervous with the sales guy in the back seat and my
wife next to me.  I wasn't as blown away by it as I had expected to be and
it's still a pricey vehicle.  They're going for around 19k used here in
Austin, if you can find a used one...

Last Fall I test drove a Spec-V and while it was fun, it didn't blow me away
either.  Mostly it felt a lot like driving my 93 except with a crappy
shifter and 4 doors.  Plus it keeps getting hammered in every comparison I
read.  So, I'm looking for something new, (to me) probably used, and I'd
really like to stay $15,000 or under but still get a sporty daily-driver
that won't embarass me at the occasional autocross or drain my wallet with
bad mileage.  I've thought about Protege's and Focus' too, but don't feel as
great about them.

I'd like to know what all of you Spec-V owners have to say about your
babies.  Especially those of you who've owned Classics or 200SX's too. (Hey,
aren't there a couple of WRX owners on the list too?) What's good, what's
bad, what's great?

Thanks in advance,
Justin
93 SuperBlack Classic

P.S. I finally saw the Honda vs. SE-R SuperTuner race last weekend.  Drat...